In 582, Bishop Gallomagne brought to Troyes the relics of Nizier, Primate of Lyon very venerated in the region and died in 573. He placed them in the church of Saint-Maur, built at the end of the 5th century. which then takes the name of Saint-Nizier.
The current church dates from the 16th century, its square tower was completed around 1619. One of the bells that can be seen at the top of the tower is the only vestige of the Porte Saint Jacques (now rue Kléber), one of the oldest fortified gates in the city, destroyed in 1832.
The remarkable glazed tile roof evokes the Burgundy style.
Inside the church, you can admire the size of the Gothic naves and their light. The stained-glass windows, an exceptional collection from the Trojan School, illustrate subjects from the Old and New Testaments, as well as from Trojan history and legends. Several anonymous sculptures are from the beginning of the Renaissance, including an Entombment (back right), a polychrome Pietà (back left) and the famous Christ of Pity (3rd chapel from the left).
Place Saint-Nizier, redeveloped in 2001 as a pedestrian zone, is paved with Étrochey stone (Burgundy).
In the gardens, three bronzes were installed, according to plasters from the Saint-Loup museum, famous Aube sculptors were installed: The Florentine singer by Paul Dubois, Oreste sur hôtel de Pallas by Pierre-Charles Simart and L 'Child at the fountain by Alfred Boucher. In the surroundings, there are many restored sixteenth-century half-timbered houses including the Maison du Dauphin, one of the oldest in Troyes!
Opening of the church to the public, from May to September inclusive: from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. (variable hours according to the schedule transmitted).