Eglise Notre-Dame-de-l’Assomption

Add to bookmark


The parish church of l'Assomption stands close to the site where the Montiéramey abbey, founded in 837, stood until the French Revolution.

The nave and aisles date from the early 13th century for the walls and the 16th century for the vaults. The double transept and apse were built between 1540 and 1545. The isolated transept piers were dismantled in 1695. The bell tower, built in front of the façade in the 18th century, protects the Romanesque voussoir portal of the nave. The choir and nave vaults were restored in 1994. The building comprises a four-bay, three-vessel nave followed by a projecting double transept. Stained-glass windows dating from the reconstruction of the transept and apse are partially preserved in bays 1 to 4 (bay 4 is dated 1540). The axis bay (bay 0) was blocked in 1674. The original stained-glass windows have been mixed and heavily restored over the centuries, notably after 1570, when the church was sacked during the Wars of Religion, and then during the general refurbishment of the building in the late 17th century. More recently, restoration work was carried out in 1910, then after the Second World War, in 1975-1976 and finally in 1995 by the Vinum workshop, which created four new stained glass windows for the transept. One, donated by a certain Etienne Emery and his wife Marguerite, is dedicated to their respective patron saints and scenes from the life of Saint James (bay 3). Another, donated by a Canon Pierre and a couple of donors, is dedicated to the first of the apostles and depicts a Transfiguration (bay 4). Finally, bays 1 and 2 feature Marian iconography, with the Litany of the Virgin and the Crucifixion, her Presentation in the Temple and her Assumption.
The building and stained glass windows have been listed as a historic monument since 1840.
Contact Mr. Cunninghan: 03 25 41 21 22.