Eglise Annonciation de Lirey

Add to bookmark


In 1356, the collegiate church of Lirey was built to house the Holy Shroud.
(The Holy Shroud, a linen cloth in which the portrait of Christ would have been drawn by the mere pose of the latter on his face after his crucifixion, was in Lirey from 1353 to 1418).

Demolished during the Revolution, many of its furnishings were taken over by other places of worship and museums, such as altars that are now kept in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

The present church is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin and was built between 1870 and 1880.


  • French