This is true, cats have been inspiring most of the famous proverbs (according to my friend Marmotte)!
Some of these proverbs are very well known, like: « Let the cat out of the bag », « When the cat is away, the mice will play » or « Time spent with cats is never wasted »…
But actually, dogs have been playing their part in sayings and languages all around the world, and many proverbs refer to them.
Alright, here I go! Let’s see if you know all of these expressions! (I will give you some explanations at the end of my article…)
- You can’t teach an old dog new tricks
- His bark is worse than his bite
- Like a dog with two tails
- Doggy style
- To be dog tired
- Puppy dog eyes
- Puppy love
- Every dog has its day
- To be in the dog-house
- It is raining cats and dogs
- To live long, eat like a cat, drink like a dog
- Beware of a silent dog and still water
- If you stop every time a dog barks, your road will never end.
- Dos are man’s best friend
- Expressionfrom the 16th century when shepherds were advised to train their dogs young.But the saying became famous and even appeared in James Bond Skyfall!
- About thosewho seem to have a strong personality but are actually very kind people.
- This isabout being very very happy, like a dog wagging not only one tail but two!
- Well, thisexpression refers to… how dogs actually « do this »… let’s say it canbe understood as having sex like a wild animal.
- When youreally, really need a nap
- Way toocute to resist
- Teenagers’love, infatuated love… rather a very cheesy kind of love
- Everyonehas their time of glory
- When youare in someone’s bad books, when you are in trouble.
- This onerefers to heavy, heavy rain.
- Try andstay healthy and fat
- Do nottrust very quiet situations or people, as they can turn into the most violentones
- Always moveforward beside hard times and challenges
- This one isa saying we love, and we can only agree to this!