Preparation time: 20 min
250 g flour – 150 g white sugar – 75 cl full cream milk – 1 lemon – 2 eggs – 2 cl orange blossom or rose water- 2 g salt
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt, full eggs and orange blossom or rose water into a bowl.
- As soon as the mixture takes the shape of a ball, stir in the milk little by little until it becomes homogeneous.
- Then, add the melted and warm butter as well as the lemon zest.
- Heat a waffle tin to 190-200°C, butter it and bake a thin layer of the dough.
- Once cooked, take it off and wrap it into a cone around a buttered rolling pin.
Text from the Bible, Genesis, chapter 40 verse 16 (pericope-paracha Vayechev for those who are initiated) : The basket-maker noticed that [Joseph] had given a great interpretation [of the cupbearer’s dream] and he said to Joseph : « As for me, in my dream, I was carrying three wicker baskets on my head ».
Rachi’s comment about these wicker baskets or « saleï hori » in Hebrew (phonetic transcription), two words meaning « baskets with holes »:
[These] baskets are made with debarked branches (wicker) with holes in them. There are many around here [in Troyes] and the sellers use these baskets to carry their stuffed waffles that we call the « oubliès » in our language [medieval French].
Text found, translated in modern French and adapted by « CulturistiQ Laboratoire culturel »
Head and featured photo© Emmanuelle de Marne