This commune covers an area of 11.50km² and has around 280 inhabitants who are known as ‘Fresnichons’. It is located 30 minutes south-east of Troyes. Reached via the D1 or the D21, Fresnoy-le-Château is 12 minutes from junction 21 (Saint-Thibault) of the A5 from Paris and 15 minutes from junction 23 (Thennelières) from the A26 between Calais and Troyes.
The green coppiced countryside of Fresnoy-le-Château has the rural features of the Champagne humide area. The fields around the village are quite level, giving views of the surrounding woods. Modern houses and old rural cottages sit side-by-side in the village.
Fresnoy get its suffix of ‘le-Châteaux’ from the private Château du Plessis. Built in the manner of an 18th-century summer residence, the alternating stone and brickwork add character to the façade, which has two slightly protruding wings on each side. Classified as an historic monument in 2001, its current form dates from the building work undertaken between 1833 and 1844 by Count and General Louis Sébastien Gundler, but there has been a ‘Château du Plessis’ on this site since the 14th century.
The church of the Assumption was built between 1868 and 1869 and has features of the Gothic revival. Its bell tower is particularly slender due to the architectural decoration that creates a tier decorated with columns.
In front of the church, an obelisk decorated with the victory palm and the Croix de Guerre medal commemorates the victims of the First World War. At the crossroads of the D1 and D106 towards Lusigny-sur-Barse, stands a memorial to members of the resistance who were arrested by the Germans on the 25 and 26 August 1944.