This commune covers an area of 15.7km² and has around 1740 inhabitants who are known as ‘Coeurlequins’. It is located 6km east of Troyes. The Troyes ring road goes through Creney-près-Troyes as well as the D5, the D172 and the D960 to Brienne-le-Château. Junction 23 (Thennelières) of the A26 between Calais and Troyes is about 5 minutes from Creney-près-Troyes.
It has a nursery school and a primary school, a multimedia library and has been awarded three flowers by the Villes et Villages Fleuris organisation. With many cultural, leisure and sporting associations, Creney-près-Troyes is a lively place to live and one that respects the environment.
Its church of Saint-Aventin mostly dates from the 16th century. It was classified as an historic monument in 1907. Its 16th-century stained-glass windows were classified in 1894 and are of high quality design. They also have fine detailing inspired by the windows of the church of La Madeleine in Troyes
Some of the church furnishings are classified as historic monuments, including a 19th-century gilded oak reliquary of Saint Aventin, two painted and gilded tomb-shaped reliquaries dating from the 18th century, and a 19th-century painted and gilded carved oak eagle lectern.
Next to the church an obelisk pays homage to those who died in the 1870 war, the Algerian war and the First and Second World Wars.
Creney-près-Troyes suffered greatly in the Second World War, and in 1946 erected a striking war memorial in the west of the commune on the Allée des Martyrs. A pedestal supports a sculpture of a member of the resistance who has been shot. A bronze plaque is set into the stone, and is engraved with the names of the four who were shot on 22 February 1944 and the 49 executed on 22 August 1944. In 1994, a memorial stone was placed at the fatal site and 53 trees were planted in memory of these martyrs.