This commune covers an area of 15km² and has 700 inhabitants who are known as ‘Mergeotins’. It is located about twenty minutes north of Troyes. Reached via the D78, it is about 10 minutes from junction 22 (Charmont-sous-Barbuise) of the A26 between Calais and Troyes.
Mergey is between the woods through which the river Melda flows and open fields. Alongside the river you can still see a wash house. It has a primary and nursery school and offers a country lifestyle with a mix of rural cottages, farmhouses and modern homes.
The church of Saint-Sulpice-et-Saint-Julien stands alongside the D78, surrounded by its churchyard. Listed in the supplementary list of historic monuments in 1951, its 13th-century nave was destroyed by bombing during the Second World War. Its apse and transepts date from the 16th century and still stand.
The 16th-century stained-glass windows have been classified as historic monuments since 1913. Some of the church furnishings are classified as historic monuments, including a 16th-century limestone reredos, which incorporates a polychrome wooden crucifix and three statuettes: a wooden St Anthony, and St Nicholas and St John in limestone. All of these works also date from the 16th century.
A few metres from the church, alongside the D78, the war memorial pays tribute to the ‘Children of Mergey who died for France’ during the First and Second World Wars. Laurel wreaths, weapons, helmets, victory palms and the croix de guerre medal are carved on a square column to symbolise this tribute.
TO FIND OUT MORE
>>> Shops and Services