This commune covers an area of 23km² and has around 315 inhabitants who are known as ‘Pavillonais’. It is located 17km north-west of Troyes. Reached via the D31, D165 or the D442, it is a little over 15 minutes from junction 20 (Torvilliers) of the A5 from Paris.
The village is located in the middle of fields giving views over the Auboise countryside north of Troyes and the plains of the Champagne Crayeuse area. The village school has classes open to the school group of the communes of Dierrey-Saint-Julien, Dierrey-Saint-Pierre and Voué.
Pavillon-Sainte-Julie is linked with the neighbouring communes of Villeloup and Echemines for its sports and leisure association.
The nave of the church dates from the 12th-13th centuries, whilst the rest is 16th-century – including the stained-glass windows which were classified as historic monuments in 1894. Dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin, the church of Pavillon-Sainte-Julie houses a 16th-century Pietà that has been classified as an historic monument since 1908.
Life-size, the limestone is carved with great skill to show the fluidity of the fabrics on the one hand, and the final tension in the dying Christ on the other.
A few steps from the church, a black marble plaque mounted on an obelisk carries the names of those killed in action during the First World War.
TO FIND OUT MORE
>>> Shops and Services