This commune covers an area of 13km² and is home to just over 425 inhabitants who are known as ‘Bucetons’. It is located 17km west of Troyes, and can be reached via the D34 or the D15. It is about 10 kilometres from junction 20 (Torvilliers) of the A5 from Paris.
It has been awarded two flowers by the Villes et Villages Fleuris organisation. The town has an active and diverse range of voluntary organisations, including an association for the protection of local heritage (ASPBO) and an association that organises events and festivals.
The Bucey football club trains regularly at the commune’s sports stadium. The fishing club and hunting society make the most of the natural environment of Bucey-en-Othe. The commune is a few kilometres from Fontvannes and Messon, with which it shares a primary school and out of school club.
Archaeological excavations have revealed that the commune has been inhabited for several thousand years. It now has numerous cultural landmarks and heritage sites. The 16th-century castle – which still has its moat, towers, main buildings and additions like the dovecote – was classified as an historic monument in 2005.
The church, which is officially dedicated to Sts Philip and Peter, but is known locally as Saint-Jacques le Majeur, dates from the 16th century. In 2013, its stained-glass windows were restored thanks to funding from the association for the preservation of local heritage (ASPBO). The 16th-century windows are classified as historic monuments, as are several 15th and 16th-century sculptures that are kept in the church.
The First World War Memorial was erected in 1921 in Rue Jean Thomas Bonnemain (on the D34) in memory of 300 soldiers from Bucey who were killed in action. The wash houses – especially the lavoir des Roises – also bear witness to the history of the commune.