This commune covers an area of 8km² and is home to just over 540 inhabitants who are known as ‘Bourantonnais’. It is located about ten kilometres east of Troyes and can be reached via the D86 or the D186. Bouranton is about 5km from junction 23 (Thennelières) of the A26 between Calais and Troyes.
Bouranton has a primary school, and the ‘friends of Bouranton’ association organises various activities to bring the community together. Events including walks, meals and cultural outings all contribute to community life. It is one of the communes of the Forêt d’Orient Regional Nature Park.
The church of Saint-Pierre et Saint-Paul, built in the 12th and 16th centuries, stands in the middle of the village next to the D186, the Rue de la Fontaine Saint-Pierre. The church houses a processional pole of St Peter dating from the 19th century which incorporates a 17th-century statuette. Made of wood, together they have been classified as objects considered to be historic monuments since 1975.
Just over a dozen of Bouranton’s church furnishings are classified as historic monuments, including a 16th-century limestone statuette of Saint Eloi, a bronze bell cast in 1578, the painted and gilded high altar from the 18th and 19th centuries, as well as a 1.55m-tall 14th-century polychrome limestone statue depicting a Madonna and Child and a life-size statue of Saint Peter dating from the 19th century.
The old cemetery still surrounds the church and the Gallic cockerel stands atop the First World War Memorial by the churchyard wall.