The Saint-Frobert chapel predates the 10th century and was built on the site of the native house of Abbé Frobert. It was located in the heart of the Jewish quarter. In fact, where the Jews had settled (near an old Roman road), an academy functioned there very quickly. It was called a Beth Hamidrash, that is to say a house of study. In the Jewish tradition, it is always necessary to found a house of study before building a synagogue. We don't know exactly where Rashi's house of study was, but there is every indication that this might be the closest place.
Rachi went to study in Mainz and Worms in the Rhineland when he was in his twenties. He returned to Troyes at the age of 26. Upon his return, Rachi received an inheritance of vineyard land from his family. He then became a winegrower. This activity provides him with enough income to buy his supplies to write his comments.
This building became a church in the 14th century. During the Revolution in 1791, the building was requisitioned by the revolutionaries. It was converted into housing and wine sheds. A priori, and according to historians, this Saint-Frobert church would have been built on the site of a synagogue established well before the 14th century, after the expulsion of the Jews in 1394 by Charles VI.
The church burned down in 1830. The vaults collapsed. Many alterations and works have greatly contributed to the considerable modification of the façade of this building.