Barberey Castle was originally a 16th century residence belonging to the Choiseul-Praslin family, to Nicolas de Choiseul sire de Praslin, then to his son and grandson. It was the latter, Charles Marquis de Praslin, who sold the castle in 1596 to Louis Le Mairat, Lord of Droupt Saint Basle and Mayor of Troyes.
One of his sons, Jean 1er Le Mairat, Lord of Droupt, Councillor at the Grand Council, had the present castle built in 1626.
It was acquired under the Consulate by the first Prefect of the Aube, Claude Louis Bruslé, since then Baron de Valsuzenai.
Built in brick and stone, on a stone foundation, it is in the pure Louis XIII style, and has a very beautiful appearance.
Two pavilions are added to the facade on the garden side, which is a very beautiful French park.
The castle was listed as a historical monument on 18 March 1930 and the garden was awarded the label "Jardin remarquable" in 1965.
The castle is a private residence. It is possible to visit the exterior of the castle and the old fortified house, as well as the park and French garden. Open from 1 August to 15 September, as well as during the European Heritage Days; all year round, on request, for groups.
|Price per person||Min: 3€||Max: 3€|